The First Installation:
Theta chapter was originally installed on April 4, 1907. They were previously the Zeta chapter of Sigma Tau Psi. The chapter was forced to close after the 1910-1911 school year, by the 1910 Convention vote to join the National Panhellenic Congress. In order to insure a strong organization, it was believed that the Fraternity must join the National Panhellenic Congress. Since only collegiate-ranked schools could participate, the Theta chapter was closed. The chapter installed 71 members, of which 13 were charter members. One of the charter members was Zenobia Wooten (Keller), who went on to work for Phi Mu for most of her life.
The Second Installation:
On March 26, 1997, Phi Mu came to present to the members of local sorority, Kappa Delta Sigma. The vote was unanimous to petition Phi Mu for membership. On April 27, 1997 at 1:00 p.m., the members of Kappa Delta Sigma became Phi Mu Fraternity. After a short period, the requirements of installation were met and the chapter was reinstalled on January 18, 1998. There were 34 charter members.
Chapter House Life at Belmont:
Theta, being the only chapter of Phi Mu having a chapter house at the time, was asked to give the others some idea of the life there. So, in answer to several requests, the following was written to show in some small degree how we lived, though it could never be written down all the good times we enjoyed together.
When Phi Mu was first installed at Belmont, the girls had rooms here and there all over the college; but, as the chapter grew, they wished to have some place where they could be together and more closely associated. At the time, a promise had been made that the sorority having the highest average in scholarship for the year should be given a new stone chapter house. Naturally, our girls were willing to work and, in the fall of 1907, Theta Chapter moved into a lovely little house, large enough to accommodate seventeen girls. Theta Chapter was the first Phi Mu Chapter to have a house.
The house was located about a block and a half from the college and was situated on the corner of two pretty streets where the electric cars passed. The front door opened into a cozy little hall, or sitting room, furnished in mahogany. The other rooms downstairs were used as bedrooms, but at times, when Phi Mu entertains to any great extent, things were rearranged and the whole lower floor was opened into one by folding doors. The house was prettily and tastefully papered and could be made very attractive for dances, receptions and other entertainments.
Being thrown so intimately together, the girls at Theta were most congenial. We could work more easily to attain one end, and we had, in a way, more unity than we would have if we roomed in the main building. Nearly always, with a dozen or more girls together, there was a certain amount of musical talent and our girls were not an exception. Our Kimball piano was nearly always in use and after study hour especially, the girls sang and played their mandolins, guitars, etc. Holidays of every description were celebrated in the house-sometimes just by the Phi Mus and very often the other sororities would join with us. We were always glad to have visitors, and would keep open house. Several times a year the older girls would spend a week with us, and these reunions were always enjoyed.
-The Aglaia, January, 1909